Friday 27 August 2010

Ways With Egg Whites



This week I broke a record and managed to use 30 eggs in the space of four hours.

I made Tiramisu and a hell of a lot of custard for ice cream bases. During the last few weeks I have let the restaurant ice cream stock run rather low and now I find myself furiously whisking away at custard each night and dreaming of the flavours I will replace. So far, my efforts have seen an 'apple crumble' flavour and good old fashioned mint choc chip. The vanilla is begging to be made again so that'll be yet more eggs for me to separate. Of course, by the time I've made that, yet another flavour or two will have run out so I'll be making even more custard. I've some gooseberries in the freezer so I think I'll make 'Gooseberry and Elderflower' ice cream. If anyone has any suggestions for other ice cream flavours, I'd love to hear them.

Currently, I have 30 egg whites to use up. I will freeze a few in batches, but I'd like to use some while they're fresh. This is where you come in. I need some inspiration as to what to do with them. There's only so much buttercream I can make.

So leave me some suggestions as comments here or on my Facebook page and I'll see what I can do!

Thank you!

6 comments:

  1. Oooh I really like the sound of apple crumble flavour! i really like pistachio ice cream, I've had it in a couple of places coupled with another ingredient and it always is lovely x Loving the blog, gorgeous pics! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could use your egg whites to make meringues, pavlova, macarons, angel food cake...............

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through my friend's blog, sugarlaws. I just had to say - your blog is so beautiful. I'm definitely going to keep following it.

    www.saycheesephotospot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. gooseberry ice cream sounds very interesting :)

    I'm glad you stopped by my blog! I'm so happy that I can help you out with the recipe for mascarpone. To answer your question... Unfortunately, home made mascarpone has a very short life. I would try to use it within 3 days of making it. Consume it in no more than 4 or 5 days, but 5 is pushing it. Hope that helps you out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice, You have a beautiful site here. Thank you for dropping by mine. I'm joining you! You sure have a lot of egg whites and I can see that it will gets more by the week! Do you have a copy of the book "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" by Rose Levy Beranbaum? There are some fabulous recipes using only egg whites. You can whip up some of this and sell it at your cafe! Hope this helps! Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd use them for omelets, an angel food cake and my mother's old favorite: meringues with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete