Thursday 20 May 2010

Rainbow Cake and a 3rd Birthday Party

I have become a bit of a bore. Whenever someone says 'Party', I say 'Can I make a cake?'.

This weekend was our nephew's 3rd birthday and we celebrated with a delicious Sunday lunch at Nonno and Nonna's house.

One of the final reasons for my starting a food blog was seeing Whisk Kid's blog. She's 19 annd churning out the most asthetically pleasing cakes I've seen in a while that are made by someone with no formal training.
I've been following her inventiones for a while now, but the most visually striking post on her blog is 'the Rainbow Cake' http://whisk-kid.blogspot.com/2009/08/say-it-with-cake.html . It is fantastically child friendly (though I know that adults are equally impressed by this cake).

I decided that the quantity of Swiss meringue buttercream was a little extreme so I made just her suggestion for the fill and crumb coat using 9 egg whites and it covered it well enough. For those of you who are a little afraid of Swiss meringue buttercream, please don't be. It is quite easy and not really very time consuming.

Oh, and please, please if you are going to try this yourself, be sure to get the professional gel food colour pastes. They are so vivid and a tiny bit goes a long way.

Here is my interpretation for you to see at last, It took us three whole days to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment