Monday 15 November 2010

A Simple Lunch that took a Long Time to Prepare


Yet another recipe that I've had lurking for a few weeks but not rushed to put up. I don't know why. This was delicious, and well worth the huge effort that I had to put into making it.

I'd only once prepared globe artichokes before this occasion, and I'm sure I remember it being easier than it was. But don't let me put you off having a go for yourself. The results are delicious and unlike anything you'll have made for yourself before. I promise it's worth the effort.
I found a really good tutorial for preparing them here. Be sure to watch the video of the Campo di Fiore (a beautiful Roman market famous for its artichokes) seller - I wish I could do that!



Sage and Onion Stuffed Globe Artichokes

Ingredients
2 globe artichokes, trimmed and cut in half down the middle
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
6 sage leaves, finely chopped
100g breadcrumbs
250ml vegetable stock

Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 4.
Put the artichokes into an oven proof dish and pour thestock over them.
Cover with foil and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes.
Heat the olive oil in a medium frying pan and add the onions. Cook for 8 minutes over a medium-low heat until just translucent and add the garlic. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
Finally, add the chopped sage and cook for a further minute before removing from the heat.
Off the heat, stir in the breadcrumbs and set aside until the artichokes come out of the oven.
Stuff the artichokes with the stuffing mixture and replace the foil lid tightly on top. Cook for 15 minutes with the foil lid on, and then another 10 minutes without the foil lid.


1 comment:

  1. I am too lazy to go through the trouble so I buy the artichoke bottoms at the midldle-eastern store; I would love to taste these, they look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete